Fleeing domestic abuse

Topic last updated October 2018


This topic is about finding a place of safety for someone fleeing domestic abuse.

If you client would prefer to stay in their own home, with protective measures put in place, the Sanctuary Scheme may be appropriate.

A quick link to a sheet of domestic abuse contacts is here.



It is Cambridge City Council's policy to ensure the safety of individuals fleeing domestic abuse by placing them as far as is practical from the area which is the source of the danger.


Finding a refuge

The directory of services for women fleeing domestic abuse is here. There are also specific options listed below.


Specific options

Cambridge Women's Aid (for people with no local connection to Cambridge)


If you require further information, contact  


Angie Stewart

Project Coordinator

Cambridge Women's Aid

01223 350764


Fenland Refuge

To make a referral to the Fenland Refuge, please contact 01945 588015 or 07717275942.

Lindsay Deighton

Support Worker


Blossom House

Orwell Housing Association (Ipswich) has a refuge that sometimes has vacancies. The contact is:


Orwell Housing Association Ltd

Nadine Scott - Team Leader

Tel:+44 0845 4634142

Mob: +44 07584630779


Boston and South Holland Domestic Abuse Service


This organisation provides a support service available to women in the Lincolnshire area, but also has two refuges in the area.


Complex Needs Refuge - Luton

A refuge in Luton for single women with multiple needs including drugs alcohol and mental health. A leaflet is available here.


If you need to make a referral please contact the helpline on  01582  391856


Contact point:

Maria Cremin

Development Officer

Women's Aid in Luton

Telephone: 01582 876636

Mobile: 07772 697840

Website: www.womensaidinluton.org

No recourse to public funds

Bromley Women's Aid  offer a safe alternative to Bed & Breakfast and other hostel accommodation for women and children escaping domestic abuse. The safebeds scheme is available to women and children fleeing domestic abuse who are subject to no recourse to public funds and are funded by local authorities.


Other cases under the DVA banner will be considered on a case by case basis.


Please see here for further details.


If you require any further information contact Bromley Women's Aid on 0280 313 9303.